Fireblocks has 3 types of workspaces. The workspace environment you use will determine your capabilities, so it's important to know which workspace type you're working in.
Developer Sandbox environments and Testnet workspaces are used for development and testing. Mainnet workspaces are used to deploy into production (with real funds).
While each workspace type has different capabilities, they utilize the same APIs and SDKs, allowing you to develop and test your code against "lower" environments before deploying to the live production environment.
Workspace Type Comparison
|Workspace Types||Quick Experimentation||Development||Staging/Production|
|Purpose||Built specifically for developers to get started using Fireblocks APIs and SDKs quickly||API and Console testing on testnet blockchains and assets||Production environments interacting with mainnet blockchains and assets|
|Assets||Test assets||Test assets||Real assets|
|API||Full API access with the most limited rate limits||Full API access with limited rate limits||Full API access with increased rate limits|
|Exchanges||Limited exchange integration support (only testnets)||Limited exchange integration support (only testnets)||All Fireblocks exchange integrations|
|Fiat||Testnet only||Testnet only||All Fireblocks fiat integrations|
|DeFi/Web3||Testnet protocols with WalletConnect Desktop integration||Testnet protocols with WalletConnect Mobile and Desktop integrations||Full support|
(requires specific TAP implementation to enable)
|Fireblocks Network||N/A||N/A.||All Fireblocks Network connections are available|
|API Co-signer||Only Fireblocks provided API Co-Signer||Fireblocks-provided or self-hosted API Co-Signer.||Self-hosted API Co-Signer|
|AML||N/A||N/A||Most assets supported via Chainalysis or Elliptic|
|TAP||Non-editable||Fully editable||Fully editable|
|API User Limit||Up to 5 Users||Limited to client setting||Limited to client setting|
|Support||Community support||Full Support with Help Center access||Full Support with Help Center access|
|Mobile Access||N/A||Fireblocks mobile app to sign/authorize transactions and approve external connections||Fireblocks mobile app to sign/authorize transactions and approve external connection|
Mainnet is a production-level blockchain network with cryptocurrency transactions being broadcasted, verified, and recorded. Mainnets have a base asset that can be used as funds in transactions or to pay network fees. All assets on Mainnets have a real-world monetary value.
A Mainnet workspace is a fully developed and deployed environment that allows you and your organization to conduct your real-world financial operations on the Fireblocks platform.
In Mainnet workspaces, you can securely:
- Transfer digital assets
- Add users
- Create a Vault account or multiple
- Whitelist new addresses
- Connect to supported exchanges
- Connect to other Fireblocks Network members
- Configure MPC-CMP devices
- Establish network connections
Moving to Mainnet workspaces
Warning: When testing new functions in Mainnet (production) environments, use small amounts first to confirm intended functionality before upscaling to larger amounts.
Testnet is a blockchain test network used by developers to run tests with the blockchain. Testnets operate on their own blockchains, separate from their associated Mainnet. Testnet assets have no monetary value, and many of them reset periodically.
A Testnet workspace is a testing-level environment that only allows you to use Testnet assets for integration and testing purposes. You can also perform many of the same actions you can in a Mainnet workspace without incurring real-world fees.
In the Fireblocks Console, the "Testnet Environment" badge appears at the top of the page to help you identify your Testnet workspace. See a list of Testnets supported by Fireblocks below:
Supported Testnets on Fireblocks
- Arbitrum Testnet
- Avalanche Testnet
- Binance Smart Chain Testnet
- CELO Testnet Alfajores
- CELO Testnet Baklava
- eCredits Testnet
- Ethereum Testnet Goerli
- Ethereum Testnet Sepolia
- HOM Testnet
- HT Chain Testnet
- KUB Bitkub Testnet
- RSK Smart Bitcoin Testnet
- Smart BCH Testnet
Limitations of Testnet workspaces
The Testnet workspace will have certain conditions to protect you from losing real assets and compromising security while you test.
- Only Testnet assets and Testnet blockchains are supported, (e.g. Ethereum Goerli Testnet)
- Simplified signing process:
- Removes many security features in favor of simple setup and testing
- No mobile signing application support
- No client co-signer support
- Limited exchange integrations - not all exchanges support Testnet blockchains and may not work as they would on Mainnet
- Fiat integrations will only work on fiat test networks
- DeFi/Web3 - Limited blockchain & Web3 dApp test network support
- The Fireblocks Network is not available.
- Transaction screening AML/KYT integrations are not available
- Reduced API rate limits - Production-level load testing is not available
Considerations for managing Mainnet & Testnet workspaces
- Aside from users you add to both workspaces, your Mainnet and Testnet are separate.
Your Mainnet workspace will require its own vault accounts and asset wallets, exchange account and fiat account connections, policies, users, and more.
- You must define the Mainnet workspace’s Transaction Authorization Policy (TAP) rules to work in accordance with various users, user groups, sources, destinations, and assets.
- You must configure your Mainnet workspace to work with any API integrations and third-party accounts you want to carry over from your Testnet workspace.
- This includes creating a new API key for and provisioning your API co-signer.
Parameters will change between workspaces/environments
Prodution-ready Mainnet parameters will likely be different from what you used in your Testnet workspace.
You can add Fireblocks Console users, set your Admin Quorum, and connect to exchange accounts, fiat accounts, and Fireblocks Network members before or after you configure your API integrations.
Updated 12 days ago